Things To Do - West of Inverness
West of Inverness, and along the Great Glen, these attractions are near to Days 2, 5 and 6.
Here are some ideas for interesting places to visit, to the west and south-west of Inverness. Please check details on websites before visiting attractions.
Museums / Galleries / Information
- Caledonian Canal Visitor Centre, Fort Augustus – A small centre with interesting information about the Caledonian Canal, which runs 100km right across Scotland, along the Great Glen.
- Highland Museum of Childhood, Strathpeffer – Located in the old station, this museum tells the story of childhood throughout the Highlands, and explores customs and traditions.
- Kilmorack Gallery, Beauly – Contemporary art gallery in an 18th-century church, specialising in Scottish artists.
- Beauly Gallery – Scottish arts and crafts, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
- Tollie Red Kites, Conon Bridge. Close-up views of red kites, with feeding at 14:30 daily. Visitor centre and feeding stations for smaller birds.
- Touchstone Maze, Blackmuir Woods, Strathpeffer – Forest trail to a maze made of rocks from all over the Highlands, including some of the oldest rocks in the world. Links up with other walks around Strathpeffer.
- Corrimony Chambered Cairn – An excavated passage grave, built some 4,000 years ago.
- Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness – Magnificently situated on the shore of Loch Ness, this was one of Scotland’s largest castles. Its impressive ruins include a tower house with splendid views over the loch. Visitor centre, café and gift shop.
- Beauly Priory – The ruined church of a priory, one of three founded by French monks in 1230.
- Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition, Drumnadrochit – Exhibition about the history of Loch Ness and the Loch Ness Monster legend.
- Aigas Golf Course, Aigas - 9 hole course, pay-as-you-go, 8km from Day 2 event.
- Cycle up Glen Strathfarrar to Loch Monar.
- Glen Ord Distillery, Muir of Ord – Founded in 1838, one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Visitor centre, distillery tours, whisky shop.