Forest, open and urban areas will be available for training purposes from 19 July to 8 August (except for the restrictions noted below). These include the model areas being used by the WOC competitors.
The training areas and, where applicable, the restrictions on their use are:
- Dingwall (urban)
- 14 miles from Inverness.
- NB: no controls will be put out in this area.
- Reelig (forest area divided by a steep-sided valley)
- 9 miles from Inverness, off the A862 Inverness to Beauly road.
- Parking at OS grid ref NH558431, in forest walks car park.
- Start/Finish at parking.
- Achilty (complex wooded & open area) - up to and including 1 August 2015
- 22 miles from Inverness, on the A835 road.
- Parking at OS grid ref NH429589, behind Tarvie Services.
- Start/Finish 0.4km walk from parking.
- Kinchurdy (open moraine area - part of the Loch Vaa map)
- 29 miles from Inverness, off the B9153 road.
- Parking at OS grid ref NH935190, at the Boat of Garten Community Centre.
- There is a 2km walk/cycle on forest roads to the Start/Finish location.
- Littlemill (wooded & open moraine area) - up to and including 1 August 2015
- 9 miles from Inverness, off the B831 Fort Augustus road.
- Limited parking off road at NH700360.
- Start/Finish at parking.
- Abriachan (complex moorland area)
- 10 miles from Inverness, off the A82 Inverness to Fort William road.
- Parking at NH560350, in forest walks car park.
- There is a 0.8km walk to the Start and a 0.4km walk back from the Finish.
- Bught Park (urban)
- At the Event Centre.
- Semi-permanent course. Score course and blank map both available.
- area not available.
The cost of each map is £3.50.
Between 13 and 22 controls will be out in each area. Each training map will include suggested ‘long’ and ‘medium’ TD4/5 courses. In Littlemill and Reelig, there will also be a short TD2 standard course.
Coaching will be available from 11:00 to 15:00 on 28 to 30 July, as follows:
- Tuesday 28 July: Littlemill
- Wednesday 29 July: Abriachan
- Thursday 30 July: Kinchurdy
At Littlemill and Abriachan, the coaches will be at the car parking; at Kinchurdy, they will be at the Start/Finish location).
Maps (for all training areas) will be available for sale from the coaches each day.
Training maps may be pre-ordered via the online entry system: you can log in to SiEntries to edit your entry and add training maps, until 19 July.
Pre-ordered maps can be collected from the Eden Court ticket desk from 19 July until the Event Centre opens. Thereafter, they can be collected from Information at the Event Centre on 1 or 2 August (see this item for opening hours), or from the Information tent on competition days (see this item for opening hours).
Additional training maps can be bought at the Event Centre on 1 and 2 August, or from the Information tent on competition days.
Training maps will also be available to buy at the WOC Office (Eden Court) from 12:00 on 30 July, until the Event Centre opens on 1 August. You will need to know exactly how many maps you need, for which area(s), and pay in cash. Please be patient - WOC accreditation will take priority, and the WOC Office might be very busy.
Low resolution sample maps can be seen below.