Friday 6th August 2021
Today is a long distance event and a World Ranking Event
New to orienteering but first mapped two years ago as an area showing great potential. The massive crags of Creag Dhubh just to the southwest of the area are legendary in mountaineering circles.
The area itself is on the southwest flanks of the hill in an open birch forest (Coille na Creige Duibhe) but longer courses will climb up onto the Cluny Estate and open moorland beyond the line of sight. The town of Newtonmore is just a mile to the northeast.
A selection of images from the race area…
- Organising clubs
- GRAMP, RR, BASOC
- Paul Duley (GRAMP), Tim Darlow (RR)
- John Tullie & Eb Rooney (RR), Helen Rowlands (GRAMP)
- Trevor Hoey (FVO), Tim Griffin (GRAMP), Ted Finch (FVO, IOF Advisor)
- A82 towards Inverness (10 miles) and then A86 towards Newtonmore (36 miles) before turning left into field (GR NN699979)
- Parking (P)
- Flat fields accessed from A86. No entry after 1230.
- Event Services (ES)
- Adjacent to parking (same field)
- Along small faint paths (allow 15 mins)
- LIDAR and photo plot by Stirling Surveys, survey by Stirling Surveys (2018), updated 2020. 1:10000 for courses 1-7, 1:7500 for courses 8-22
- Rough open birch forest on fairly uniform slopes either side of a spur projecting from Creag Dhubh with longer courses out on rough open moorland. Boulder fields and areas of scree. Bracken areas are generally navigable. Slow runnability for the majority.
- adjacent to car parking field
- Cagoules may be mandatory if bad weather, whistles advised. One or two Highland cows may be encountered and goats and adders may be in area. They will be more afraid of you – do not provoke if seen.
- Junior courses
- white tape will be used where routes are unclear
- Special instructions
- Day 5 includes a world Ranking Event (WRE). Courses will start from the Red start and information has been communicated in WRE bulletins. Day 5 will use the same area and courses as Day 4. To make the competition fair please do not look at Day 4 courses beforehand.
- are allowed in the Car Park field and there will be a dog-exercising area. The land owner’s instructions are that you must PLEASE PICK UP AND TAKE AWAY YOUR DOG EXCREMENT.
- No exit before 1300. Take care joining the A86.
|2||M21L M20L M35L||7.6||360||1:10000||Red|
|5||M16A M55L W21L||6.1||275||1:10000||Red|
|6||M21S W18L W20L W35L||5.8||240||1:10000||Blue|
|7||M60L M20S M35S W40L W45L||5.4||230||1:10000||Blue|
|8||M65L M45S M40S W50L||5.2||225||1:7500||Blue|
|9||M50S M18S W16A W21S||4.7||190||1:7500||Blue|
|12||W18S W20S W35S Green||4.2||130||1:7500||Green|
|13||M75L M60S W65L W45S W40S||3.8||140||1:7500||Green|
|15||M70S W70L W60S W55S||2.8||120||1:7500||Green|
|16||M80 M85 M90 M75S W80 W75L W70S W65S||2.0||75||1:7500||Green|
|17||W75S W85 W90||1.7||45||1:7500||Green|
|19||W14A W16B Light Green||2.7||130||1:7500||Green|
|20||M12A M14B W12A W14B Orange||2.6||95||1:7500||White|
|21||M10A M12B W10A W12B Yellow||2.4||50||1:7500||White|
|22||M10B W10B White||2.3||35||1:7500||White|