Directors’ Meeting - 27 July 2020
Minutes of the Meeting of the Directors of the Scottish Orienteering 6-Day Event Company Limited held online via Zoom on 27 July 2020 at 7.30 pm.
Dave Kershaw (DK), Kevin Reynard (KR), Robin Strain (RS), Rachel Wilson (RW), Richard Oxlade (RO), Ewan McCarthy (EM), Colin Matheson (CM), Terry O’Brien (TOB)
Minutes: Terry O’Brien
1. Welcome & apologies for absence
Apologies: none. Colin Matheson was welcomed back from furlough.
2. Register of interests
The register of interests had been sent out with the papers for the meeting. All Directors were asked to inform DK of any changes - none were mentioned at the meeting. TOB had advised in advance that he was a member of the John Muir Trust.
3. Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of Directors on 29 June 2020
The minutes were approved.
4. Matters arising from previous meetings (not covered in the agenda below)
5. Finance report
KR advised that there had been no recent expenditure. A discussion with Ben Hartman (SOA Treasurer) was pending regarding payments to the SOA.
6. Lochaber 2021
RO advised that 6 main Controllers had been appointed. Most Clubs have responded positively to the day allocation. One club had requested a switch in dates - this could be accommodated.
CM reported on the area position.
- Day 1: Achnacarry – there had been no contact recently, possibly because the individual concerned had been furloughed.
- Day 2: Fort William Golf Club – there had been no response from Jahama Estates. CM was awaiting feedback regarding crossing the new pipeline through the area.
- Day 3: Arisaig – a new road through the area was pending. Parking is still to be confirmed.
- Sprint: Fort William – Andy Llewellyn has visited the area. There would be concerns if Covid-19 was still an issue due to narrow streets etc.
- Day 4: Strathmashie – no response from Forestry and Land Scotland possibly because the individual concerned had been furloughed.
- Day 5: Ardchattan – Ross Lilley is still to make contact with the land owner but did not foresee any problems.
- Day 6: Glen Creran – a meeting is pending but emails are positive.
There was a general discussion on venues and day allocation, for example is there any other structure worth considering.
There is an IT gap in COT still to be filled.
There had been no response from Dave Nichol regarding his views on the previous event.
The social aspects of the event were to be kept low key unless funding from EventScotland was forthcoming.
RO confirmed that a reduced course model would be used as previously suggested by TOB.
CM advised that mapping contracts were pending for four of the days and would be issued shortly by Donald Grassie. LiDAR cover for the other two days was outstanding. CM suggested that A4Print (Dave Ritchie of Inverness) could be used since, as no individual day would be a WRE, there was no requirement for litho printing of maps.
KR is liaising with Pat Bartlett, the event Treasurer, regarding an initial budget. Action: KR
DK expressed his thanks to TOB for his initial work towards Lochaber 2021 and thanked Ross Lilley and RO for taking the event forward following the resignation of TOB.
7. WOC 2024
DK noted that a statement for the website regarding the postponement to 2024 and the consequent impact on embargoed areas had been approved by EventScotland and Edinburgh City Council.
A discussion with IOF regarding the sanction fee was still to take place. Bob Dredge had identified sunk costs that could not be recovered.
The contract with Paul McGreal was to be amended given the postponement and DK had been taking advice from Burness Paull regarding this.
8. SOA business relevant to 6-Day Company (RO)
RO noted that the mapping strategy was being reviewed by the Operations Director. He advised that a need for younger Controllers had been identified.
EM & KR shared their experiences regarding Orienteering in Sweden and Swimming in Scotland respectively with regard to restarting activities in the light of Covid 19. DK agreed to forward the information that he had received from EM and also the guidance on the SOFT website.
Margaret Dalgleish has offered to assist in forward planning strategies.
10. Future meeting dates
Early/Mid-September 2020 at 7.30 pm via Zoom. Doodle poll to be circulated to agree date. Action: DK